5G modem-RF system harnesses AI to enhance performance
The Snapdragon X70 5G Modem-RF System, says the company, harnesses the power of AI for breakthrough 5G performance with 10 Gigabit 5G downloads, incredible upload speeds, low latency, coverage, and power efficiency. The system also introduces the Qualcomm 5G AI Suite, designed for AI-powered optimizations of sub-6 GHz and mmWave 5G links for improved speeds, coverage, latency, mobility, link robustness, and power efficiency to fuel the Connected Intelligent Edge.
The Qualcomm 5G AI Suite, says the company, lays the foundation for next-generation 5G performance enhancements including:
- AI-based channel-state feedback and dynamic optimization
- World’s 1st AI-based mmWave beam management for superior mobility and coverage robustness
- AI-based network selection for superior mobility and link robustness
- AI-based adaptive antenna tuning for up to 30% improved context detection for higher average speeds and coverage
“Our 5th generation modem-RF system extends our global 5G leadership and the introduction of native 5G AI processing creates a platform and inflection point for performance-enhancing innovations,” says Durga Malladi, senior vice president and general manager, 5G, Mobile Broadband and Infrastructure, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “Snapdragon X70 is an example of how we’re realizing the full potential of 5G and making an intelligently connected world possible.”
Snapdragon X70 features include:
- World’s only comprehensive 5G modem-RF system family capable of supporting every commercial 5G band from 600 MHz to 41 GHz, offering flexibility to OEMs for designing devices capable of supporting global operator requirements
- Unmatched global band support and spectrum aggregation capabilities including world’s first 4X downlink carrier aggregation across TDD and FDD, mmWave-sub-6 aggregation
- Standalone mmWave support to allow MNOs and service providers to deploy services such as fixed wireless access and enterprise 5G, without needing sub-6 GHz spectrum
- Unmatched uplink performance and flexibility with uplink carrier aggregation and switched uplink support across TDD and FDD
- True global 5G multi-SIM including Dual-SIM Dual-Active (DSDA) and mmWave support
- Upgradeable architecture allowing rapid commercialization of 5G Release 16 features through software updates
Snapdragon X70, says the company, inherits the 10 Gigabit 5G peak download speed of its predecessor and packs in new, advanced capabilities such as Qualcomm 5G AI Suite, Qualcomm 5G Ultra-Low Latency Suite and 4X carrier aggregation to achieve unmatched 5G speeds, coverage, signal quality and low latency. The Qualcomm 5G Ultra-Low Latency Suite in Snapdragon X70 allows OEMs and operators to minimize latency for hyper-responsive 5G user experiences and applications.
Snapdragon X70 introduces new Qualcomm 5G PowerSave Gen 3, coupled with a 4nm baseband process, and advanced modem-RF technologies such as Qualcomm QET7100 Wideband Envelope Tracking and AI-based adaptive antenna tuning that dynamically optimize transmit and receive paths across a comprehensive set of user scenarios and signal conditions to significantly reduce power consumption and extend battery life. Devices designed with all key capabilities of the Snapdragon X70 along with Qualcomm FastConnect Wi-Fi/Bluetooth systems conform with the new ‘Snapdragon Connect‘ badge – which highlights the use of the best connectivity technologies available in Snapdragon Platforms.
Customer sampling of Snapdragon X70 is expected to begin in the second half of 2022 and commercial mobile devices are expected to be launched by late 2022.