60GHz mmWave link for LED video wall
Unilumin, the world’s largest supplier of LED 60A2 60GHz RF transceiver from STMicroelectronics to provide a point to point, high-data-rate transmission of up to 6.25 Gbps over distances to a few centimetres. This is aimed at video display walls and other large-data applications, simplifying the complex cabling requirements and reducing assembly costs.
The chip also suits industrial markets with an extended temperature range of -40 to +105°C and a range of antenna configuration. The package footprint of 2.2 x 2.2 mm package footprint and power consumption of 70mW also reduces the space taken up by the wireless connection.
Short distance wireless connections at 60GHz were part of the WiGig standardisation effort that have become the 802.11ay standard but the focus in recent years has been more to cellular and fixed wireless access systems.
“The ST60A2 contactless connectivity technology opens up a new world of innovative products and applications for advanced video solutions,” said Tao Zheng, director of Unilumin. “Our innovative solution, created with STMicroelectronics, will be applied in new LED-based display products that will be launched throughout 2021.”
“With Unilumin, an LED-based display market leader, having selected the ST60A2 to improve the reliability of video links inside their equipment, we’ve together affirmed the value of the ultra-high-speed data link and its cost effectiveness and demonstrated the power of this new contactless connectivity technology to optimize existing solutions while creating the potential for new use cases in several areas,” added John Carey, RFC Asia Marketing Director, STMicroelectronics.
Related 60GHz articles
- 60GHz chipset targets fixed wireless access
- Radar board for Covid-19 social distancing
- 60GHz wireless SiBEAM technology transmits Blu-ray quality video
- Qualcomm unveils 60GHz 802.11ay Wi-Fi chipsets
Other articles on eeNewws Europe
- $24m to boost Julia programming
- Winners of AstroPi competition chosen
- Docker module connects for Modbus TCP controllers to the IIoT
- Dronamics, DHL team for 4000 middle-mile delivery drones
- TSMC looks to 12nm Dresden fab
- First complementary vertical organic transistors reach GHz speeds
- Intel in talks to buy Globalfoundries
- European startup ships first commercial quantum processor