ABB has launched a 360kW charger that it says is the world’s fastest for consumer applications, although there are 350kW systems already being rolled out across Europe and even a 450kW prototype systems being rolled out.
The Terra 360 is a modular charger which can simultaneously charge up to four vehicles with dynamic power distribution. The charger has a maximum output of 360 kW and is capable of fully charging any electric car in 15 minutes, with a top up to give 100km of range in three minutes.
The charger will be available in Europe from the end of 2021, and in the USA, Latin America and Asia Pacific regions in 2022, but the rollout of these fast chargers will put increasing pressure on the electricity grid to supply high power feeds.
- ABB teams for EV fast charger roll out in Europe
- ABB rolls out 100 fast charger systems for Dutch electric buses
- Siemens shows 300kW fully autonomous robot fast charger
- Siemens, Aral roll out 350kW fast chargers across Germany
- Prototype 450kW fast charger opens in Germany
The charger is aimed at private EV drivers at fueling stations, convenience stores and retail locations with a lighting system that guides the user through the charging process and shows the State of Charge (SoC) of the EV battery and the residual time before the end of an optimal charge session. There is also the option to include an integrated 27in advertisement screen to play video and pictures.
The charger is also wheelchair accessible and features an ergonomic cable management system that helps drivers plug in quickly with minimal effort.
The higher power density means it can be used for electric fleet cars, vans and trucks to charge overnight or to give a quick refill during the day.
“With governments around the world writing public policy that favours electric vehicles and charging networks to combat climate change, the demand for EV charging infrastructure, especially charging stations that are fast, convenient and easy to operate is higher than ever,” said Frank Muehlon, President of ABB’s E-mobility Division. “The Terra 360, with charging options that fit a variety of needs, is the key to fulfilling that demand and accelerating e-mobility adoption globally.”
ABB entered the e-mobility market back in 2010, and today has sold more than 460,000 electric vehicle chargers across more than 88 markets; over 21,000 DC fast chargers and 440,000 AC chargers, including those sold through Chargedot. High power chargers are already being deployed around the world through the company’s partnerships with international charging operators such as Ionity in Europe and Electrify America.
Other related articles
- Swedish 50kW fast charger roll out uses ABB tech
- ABB in Japanese fast charger deal
- Edge software tackles EV charger fragmentation
- Two team on German 320kW fast charger design
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Mercedes-Benz joins Stellantis to build European battery giant
- EU steps up charger battle with Apple
- 1200V GaN on 300mm wafers takes on SiC
- Solid state silicon battery boost for storage systems
- 3D graphene boost for sulfur batteries