The SmartBond DA1470x Family is offered as the only solution in the Bluetooth LE space to integrate a power management unit, a hardware voice activity detector (VAD), a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) and Bluetooth LE connectivity all into a single chip. This combined functionality, says the company, provides smart IoT devices with the most advanced sensor and graphical capabilities and seamless, ultra-low-power, always-on audio processing.
The new family is offered as ideal for wearables like smartwatches and fitness trackers; glucose monitor readers and other consumer medical and healthcare devices; home appliances with displays; industrial automation and security systems; and Bluetooth consoles such as e-bikes and gaming equipment.
“The DA1470x family expands on our successful strategy of integrating more functions, including greater processing power, expanded memory and improved power modules, along with VAD for always-on wake and command word detection,” says Sean McGrath, Vice President of the Connectivity and Audio Business Division in Renesas’ IoT, Industrial and Infrastructure Business Unit. “This feature-packed SoC product family enables developers to push the boundaries of connected consumer and industrial applications and future-proof their IoT products to fit the needs of multiple applications, while optimizing their bill of materials.”
The high level of integration, says the company, further results in significant cost savings on the Bill of Materials (BoM), enabling cost-effective system solutions. It also reduces component count on the PCB enabling smaller form factor designs and freeing up space for additional components or larger batteries. With less components on the PCB, the reliability of the system is also improved, delivering a further reduction in the total cost of goods sold (COGS) of the end product.
Key features of the DA1470x wireless SoCs include:
- Multi core system – Arm Cortex-M33 processor as the main application core and Cortex -M0+ as the sensor node controller.
- Integrated 2D GPU & Display controller supporting DPI, JDI parallel, DBI and Single/Dual/Quad SPI interfaces.
- Configurable MAC supporting Bluetooth LE 5.2 and proprietary 2.4 GHz protocols.
- Integrated 720mA JEITA-compliant USB charger supports rechargeable Li-ion/Li-Po batteries.
- Integrated low quiescent current SIMO DC/DC converter of the PMU efficiently supplies internal system and external components
- Ultra-low power hardware VAD enables seamless and always on audio processing
The company has combined the DA1470x with multiple components from its range of embedded processing, analog, power and connectivity portfolio to create two new Winning Combinations: a Wearable Activity Tracker and an Instrument Panel for Light EVs and eBikes. The DA1470x Family consists of four new devices, all of which are in mass production and widely available now.