Designed for integration within electric vehicles, hybrid electric vehicles, and other transportation systems, the MAX17852 14-channel, high-voltage, ASIL-D data-acquisition system IC is offered as ideal for smart junction box, 48-V and other automotive battery systems that can see voltages up to 400 V and beyond. The MAX17852, says the company, was designed and manufactured to enable customers to design their systems to meet the highest ASIL-D standards for voltage, current, temperature and communication.
“Enabling systems to achieve the highest level of safety (ASIL D) for a BMS system is really a must for consumers to feel safe in their electrified vehicles,” says Tamer Kira, executive director for the Automotive Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. “The MAX17852 is the fastest and most accurate in voltage, current and temperature measurements and that is why it is the first battery data acquisition system in the industry to achieve the highest safety rating for all the major components of a BMS system.”
The small, cost effective IC, says the company, also offers the highest accuracy for delivering voltage, current and temperature data with tight time synchronization. It allows a typical cell voltage measurement of ±0.45 mV at room temperature and a maximum of ±2 mV error in a temperature range of 5 degrees to 40 degrees Celsius, enabling car OEMs to get the most mileage range out of their batteries.
With a current sense amplifier capability of +/-300 mV, and a gain setting up to 256 times and 0.3 percent current sense gain error, the MAX17852 provides fast and accurate data for calculating power management, state of health, and state of charge. The 14-channel battery data acquisition system integrates a current sense amplifier so that current information is acquired at the same time as cell voltage and temperature. The MAX17852 allows both hall effect sensor and shunt resistors to be used as sensing components.
The following are offered as the device’s key advantages:
- Highest Safety: ASIL-D rating for voltage, current, temperature and communication enhances safety
- Highest Accuracy: Measurement accuracy with best current sense amplifier gain error to allow accurate, time-aligned current measurements to potentially boost mileage
- Smaller Size: High integration enables up to 16 percent smaller size than a discrete solution to save board space
- Lower Cost: Integrated current sense amplifier provides up to 20 percent cost savings
- Versatility: The first device that can be adapted to many applications with voltage, current and temperature sensing
The MAX17852 is available for $7.52 (1000-up, FOB USA). An evaluation kit – the MAX17852EVKIT – is available for $250.