The Portal Beam platform uses nine different sensors: thermal camera for occupancy and people counting, temperature, humidity, air quality, light, smoke detection, infrared beaconing, RSSI fingerprinting, and iBeacon. The platform comes with an eight-core CPU with neural network architecture and Bluetooth 5.0 readiness.
Out of the box, says the company, it is compatible and seamlessly integrates with any BLE-gateway and the one-click, self-onboarding workflows of the Kio Cloud.
“The introduction of the Kio Cloud-enabled Portal Beam represents a bold change that was over a year in the making, and marks a historic day for Kontakt.io’s future software-defined product portfolio,” says Philipp von Gilsa, Kontakt.io CEO. “This is the most powerful value proposition we’ve ever crafted targeting customers and partners in healthcare, workspaces and hospitality. We can now deliver occupancy, environmental IoT and location use-cases end-to-end to both enterprises using our open architecture, integrations, APIs as well as to SMBs with use-case specific apps and dashboards.”
The platform’s value proposition, says the company, falls into five buckets:
- Occupancy monitoring: Count people without requiring them to wear a beacon. Portal Beam deployed on a ceiling lets users monitor how people occupy spaces and track the occupancy of buildings, floors, rooms, and desks without infringing on privacy.
- Environment monitoring: Monitor rooms 24/7. With its rich set of sensors, Portal Beams ensure a safer and healthier workplace, reduce a building’s carbon footprint, and help improve the employee experience.
- Indoor navigation: Enable indoor navigation. With built-in iBeacon, Portal Beams improve orientation inside buildings with compatible indoor navigation apps.
- IR beaconing: Achieve room-level tracking certainty of IoT devices. Portal Beam enables location-tracking use cases in which room-level certainty is required. With IR-Beaconing BLE-devices such as the new Kontakt.io Smart Badge, people can be located with room-level certainty at all times. IR-Beaconing enables a new range of high-accuracy location tracking use-cases especially relevant for healthcare and hospitality, including contact tracing, nurse duress, visitor management, evacuation tracking, and more.
- Automated RSSI Fingerprinting: Improve the location accuracy of existing BLE-enabled Wi-Fi access point networks. Extend the existing access point typology with Portal Beams combined with cloud AI and improve room-level accuracy for tracking any BLE devices.
Portal Beam Starter Kits are available to pre-order for $339.