Ultra-Wideband by Sevenhugs is offered as a low-power and low-footprint stack that supports applications ranging from device control, spatial awareness, location tracking, and access and security. Manufacturers, says the company, will be able to leverage its UWB stack, software, and expertise to quickly market innovative UWB powered experiences.
“Back in 2013, we realized the tremendous potential of leveraging UWB technology in consumer products,” says Simon Tchedikian, Sevenhugs’ CEO & Founder. “We immediately shaped our vision around the fact that UWB would eventually be embedded everywhere, in our smartphones, smart home devices and our cars. Moving forward we look to help the entire industry grow, expediting the integration of UWB in ways that will truly transform our daily lives.”
The UWB stack and software is FCC and CE certified and, says the company, operates with the industry’s highest security standards. In addition, the company has developed a cost-effective architecture designed specifically for Android-based smartphones designed to unlock a wide array of innovative UWB-powered features.
The stack, says the company, leverages UWB raw precision ranging technology and is composed of three key pillars: a reliable communication protocol, a powerful sensor fusion engine, and a user-centric application-specific software service. This allows manufacturers to benefit from an end-to-end solution that is reliable and ready to deploy.
The company lists a variety of applications for its UWB software:
- Smartphones – Unlock the potential of UWB using spatial awareness; creating personalized and contextual experiences, precision control systems, secure keyless entry, and powerful tracking ecosystems.
- Location Trackers – Easily find items and devices with extreme accuracy using a smartphone.
- Automotive – Bring security and contextual based experiences to the car. For example, when a user approaches their car it automatically unlocks and sets the seat position, entertainment and temperature to desired settings.
- Gaming – Enable new control opportunities and end-to-end gaming experiences by adding UWB to game controllers or remotes.
- Entertainment – Create new control experiences and increase user interaction by adding UWB to TVs, Set-top Boxes or Media Streamers.
- Smart Home – Create personalized and contextual experiences based on the proximity and orientation of a user’s smartphone or remote.
- Security – Leverage UWB when distance and orientation are crucial for heightened security, such as unlocking the door of a home or vehicle. For example, the door unlocks only when a user approaches their home from the outside.
- Smart Speakers – Use distance and presence between the listener and the speakers to create personalized and adaptive sound experiences in the home.
In 2018, the company launched Smart Remote, the world’s first consumer electronics product to leverage UWB to offer indoor positioning plus orientation tracking 24/7 without recalibration and realignment by the user.