Softing in Germany has developed a software module for Modbus TCP controllers that uses the Docker container technology.
The edgeConnector Modbus is a Docker Container that connects Modbus TCP controllers from suppliers such as Schneider Electric, Wago, Beckhoff or Phoenix Contact, to industrial IoT applications. edgeConnector Modbus can also be used to collect energy data or other process variables from Modbus-compatible sensors. An integrated OPC UA server enables simple and secure data connection to higher-level management systems, such as ERP, MES or process visualization systems.
As a further communication protocol, MQTT makes it possible to integrate control data directly into private or public IoT cloud applications.
The edgeConnector Modbus follows the edgeConnector Siemens that connects SIMATIC S7 controllers and edgeConnector 840D to access data from SINUMERIK 840D controllers
“By using container technology, our edgeConnector products are very quickly started up and running. They are operated on standard hardware and can be managed easily from a central platform. In this way, we offer our customers a simple and secure option for integrating data from production into innovative and flexible Industrial IoT solutions,” said Sebastian Schenk, Product Manager at Softing Industrial.
All edgeConnector products support the latest security standards such as SSL/TLS, X.509 certificates, authentication, and data encryption. They can be configured locally via an integrated web interface or can be managed remotely via a REST API.
- Softing to acquire Phoenix Digital
- Siemens connector for the industrial edge
- Industry 4.0 gateway links Profibus, Hart
- Softing joins OMP open industrial IoT group
Softing plans to further expand the edgeConnector product family to enable Ethernet/IP connectivity for Rockwell and Omron controllers. There are also plans to expand the configuration options from the cloud.
edgeConnector Modbus can be downloaded from online directories such as Docker Hub or Microsoft Azure Marketplace and tested for free.
Other articles on eeNews Europe
- TSMC looks to 12nm Dresden fab
- First complementary vertical organic transistors reach GHz speeds
- Intel in talks to buy Globalfoundries
- European startup ships first commercial quantum processor
- AI boost for standard cell layout at 3nm
- Material boost for silicon photonics
- Infineon teams for next generation payment card