Encapsulated 50A digital power module
Positioned as the first 50A fully encapsulated digital DC/DC PMBus power module, ISL8272M is a complete step-down power supply that delivers up to 50A of output current from industry standard 12V or 5V input power rails, and four modules can be combined to support up to 200A rails. It provides point-of load conversions for advanced FPGAs, ASICs, processors and memory in space-constrained and power-dense telecom and datacom applications. The device is also suited for high-end instrumentation, industrial and medical equipment. Use it in conjunction with Intersil’s PowerNavigator graphical user interface (GUI).
Digital control technology provides precise sequencing and system monitoring through the PMBus interface. The ChargeMode control architecture enables compensation-free design that keeps the device stable regardless of output capacitor changes due to temperature, variation or ageing. Alternative voltage-mode control power modules often require designers to perform complex calculations, stability analysis and build a compensation network using 4-5 discrete components. The ChargeMode control loop also provides a single clock cycle fast transient response to output current load steps.
The 50A ISL8272M relies on Intersil’s fourth generation digital controller family and expands on the existing 25A ISL8270M and 33A ISL8271M digital power modules, giving a migration path to higher current power rails. Intersil’s family of fully encapsulated power modules is compatible with all industry pick and place equipment for full manufacturing automation.
• 50A output current power supply with current sharing, multi-phase and multi-module support for up to 200A power rails
• PMBus-enabled solution for full system configuration, telemetry and monitoring of all conversions and operating parameters
• Up to 96% conversion efficiency with 1% output voltage accuracy
• Single clock cycle transient response
• Independently programmable soft-start, soft-stop, sequencing and margining
• Adjustable temperature, voltage and current protections
• Compact, thermally-enhanced high density array (HDA) package simplifies thermal management, solution positioning and PCB routing
PowerNavigator GUI software simplifies the ISL8272M’s setup and configuration, including all device parameters and full telemetry. The tool makes it easy to change features and functions of a digital power supply design without writing code. To download the PowerNavigator GUI and watch a tutorial video: www.intersil.com/powernavigator
In an 18 x 23 x 7.5 HDA package, the device is priced at $50.75(1000). USD in 1k quantities. Two evaluation boards are available: the ISL8272MEVAL1Z 50A digital module evaluation board priced at $83, and the ISL8272MEVAL2Z 150A evaluation board at $150.