RF design engineers are now able to build more efficient broadband power amplifiers for commercial and military wireless communications and radar applications.
The latest 28V GaN HEMT devices are developed using Wolfspeed’s proven 0.25µm GaN-on-SiC process, and are designed with the same package footprint as the previous generation of 0.4µm devices, making it possible for RF design engineers to use them as drop-in replacements for the earlier devices in existing designs. Available as both packaged devices (CG2H400 Series) and bare die (CG2H800 Series), the new GaN HEMTs deliver 33% higher frequency operation to 8 GHz (from 6 GHz), an additional 1.5- to 2.0-dB of gain, as well as a 5-10 percent boost in operating efficiency compared to Wolfspeed’s earlier generation devices.
“By moving to our proven 0.25µm process for these next-generation devices, we are able to deliver significant performance advantages to a wide range of customers while maintaining the superior reliability these types of applications require,” said Jim Milligan, RF and microwave director, Wolfspeed. “Offering these new devices in the same packages as our previous generation parts enables RF design engineers to quickly and easily boost the performance of their RF amplifiers.”
The higher efficiency (up to 70 percent at PSAT) and higher bandwidth capability makes these devices ideal for an extensive range of RF power amplifier applications, including those for military communications systems, radar equipment (UHF, L-, S-, C-, and X-band), electronic warfare (EW) and electronic counter-measure (ECM) systems, as well as commercial RF applications in the industrial, medical, and scientific (ISM) band.
The CG2H400 Series include these packaged 28V unmatched GaN HEMT devices:
- CG2H40010 – 10 W, 8 GHz operation with 70% efficiency (at PSAT) and 18-dB/16-dB small signal gain (at 2.0 GHz and 4.0 GHz, respectively);
- CG2H40025 – 25 W, 6 GHz operation with 65% efficiency (at PSAT) and 17-dB/15-dB small signal gain (at 2.0 GHz and 4.0 GHz, respectively);
- CG2H40045 – 45 W, 4 GHz operation with 60% efficiency (at PSAT) and 18-dB/14-dB small signal gain (at 2.0-GHz and 4.0-GHz, respectively).
The CG2H400 Series devices are available in screw-down flanged or solder-down pill packages.
The CG2H800 Series include these bare die 28V unmatched GaN HEMT devices:
- CG2H80015 – 15 W, 8 GHz operation with 65% efficiency (at PSAT) and 17-dB/12-dB small signal gain (at 4.0 GHz and 8.0 GHz, respectively);
- CG2H80030 – 30 W, 8 GHz operation with 65% efficiency (at PSAT) and 17-dB/12-dB small signal gain (at 4.0 GHz and 8.0 GHz, respectively);
- CG2H80060 – 60 W, 8 GHz operation with 65% efficiency (at PSAT) and 15-dB/12-dB small signal gain (at 4.0 GHz and 8.0 GHz, respectively).
Compared to conventional silicon (Si) and gallium arsenide (GaAs) devices, Wolfspeed™ GaN-on-SiC RF devices deliver higher breakdown voltage, higher temperature operation, higher efficiency, higher thermal conductivity, higher power density, and wider bandwidths, all of which are critical for achieving smaller, lighter, and more efficient microwave and RF products.