According to the company, the Industrial Internet is generating data twice as quickly as any other sector, and Predix Cloud is the industry’s only cloud solution designed specifically for industrial data and analytics. It is designed to "capture and analyze the unique volume, velocity and variety of machine data within a highly secure, industrial-strength cloud environment."
The offering is designed to enable operators to use machine data faster and more efficiently. It leverages GE’s expertise in information and operational technology and will offer a variety of key features:
• Asset Connectivity: Provides advanced connectivity-as-a-service for industrial assets, combining proprietary technologies with global telecommunications partners to enable rapid provisioning of sensors, gateways and software-defined machines.
• Scalability for Machine Data: Purpose-built to store, analyze, and manage machine data in real time. From capturing and analyzing time series data from a locomotive with thousands of sensors to delivering large object data like a 3D MRI image to a doctor for diagnosis, Predix Cloud is built for the variety, volume, and velocity of industrial data.
• Security + Compliance: Designed with the most advanced security protocols available, including customized, adaptive security solutions for industrial operators and developers.
• Governance: Designed to streamline governance and drive down compliance costs for each individual user, while respecting national data sovereignty regulations globally.
• Interoperability: Designed to operate seamlessly with applications and services running in a broad spectrum of cloud environments.
• Gated Community: Based on a "gated community" model to ensure that tenants of the cloud belong to the industrial ecosystem.
• Developer Insight: Developers will have visibility into their operating environments and every actor connected to it.
• On-Demand Availability: Will be offered via an on-demand, pay-as-you-go pricing model.
"A cloud built exclusively to capture and analyze machine data will make unforeseen problems and missed opportunities increasingly a complication of the past," says Harel Kodesh, Vice President, General Manager of Predix at GE Software. "GE’s Predix Cloud will unlock an industrial app economy that delivers more value to machines, fleets and factories – and enable a thriving developer community to collaborate and rapidly deploy industrial applications in a highly protected environment."