Announced at at COMPUTEX, the integrated 5G chipset, with the MediaTek Helio M70 5G modem built in, packs world-leading technology into its compact design. The SoC includes Arm’s latest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek’s most advanced AI processing unit (APU) to meet the power and performance demands of 5G to deliver super fast connectivity and extreme user experiences.
The multi-mode 5G chipset is for 5G stand alone and non-stand alone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks. It supports connectivity from 2G to 4G to bridge existing network access while 5G networks roll out globally.
“Everything about this chip is designed for the first wave of flagship 5G devices. The leading-edge technology in this chipset makes it the most powerful 5G SoC announced to date and puts MediaTek at the forefront of 5G SoC design,” said MediaTek President Joe Chen. “MediaTek will power rollouts of 5G premium level devices.”
The MediaTek 5G chipset integrates the previously announced Helio M70 5G modem to give device makers a comprehensive system for ultra-fast 5G in a power efficient package. MediaTek’s single 5G chip design is superior to two chips solutions, especially in being able to deliver power efficient performance. The integrated Helio M70 modem supports LTE and 5G dual connectivity (EN-DC) with dynamic power sharing capability, plus multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G. It also has dynamic bandwidth switching technology that allocates 5G bandwidth required for specific applications to improve modem power efficiency by 50 percent and extend battery life.
Key features include:
- Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC to deliver 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds; intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management; as well as multi-mode support (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G); and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity.
- New AI architecture that supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
- Latest technology with the Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
- State-of-the-art GPU with the Arm Mali-G77 that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET, claims toi be the first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Fast throughput – peak throughput of 4.7 Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2-Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful multimedia and imaging performance – supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high resolution camera (80MP).
The chipset will be ready for lead customer samples in Q3 of 2019 and be in commercial devices by Q1 of 2020. Full specifications of the MediaTek 5G SoC will be introduced in the coming months.
See also: 5G infrastructure needs programmability