New user survey brings insight into Raspberry Pi usage
The research demonstrates the widespread use of the Raspberry Pi by professional engineers in prototyping and proof-of-concept applications, as well as its continuing popularity with makers. The survey also provides insights into the high proportion of users that take advantage of the Raspberry Pi add-on HAT devices, which open up new applications without the need to develop custom hardware.
• One third of respondents are using Raspberry Pi for personal projects and more than one third of the engineers are using the Raspberry Pi for proof of concept and prototyping. Other uses include Test rigs/testing systems and production.
• 34% of makers are using Raspberry Pi exclusively in personal projects.
• The main reason for maker use of the Raspberry Pi is price, closely followed by performance and familiarity. Professional engineers care about ease of use more than any other factor.
• The Pi camera and touchscreen are maker’s favourite accessories.
• Professional engineers are primarily using the Raspberry Pi for Internet of Things applications closely followed by Industrial Automation & Control. Other notable applications include robotics, display and consumer applications.
In celebration of Pi Day, on 14th March, Farnell is also offering a 10% discount on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ & Starter kit. To access 10% discount, customer should visit Farnell in EMEA, Newark in North America and element14 in APAC and use the code PIDAY10 at checkout.