NorthVolt assembles first lithium-ion battery cell at Swedish gigafactory
The commissioning of the Northvolt Ett gigafactory in northern Sweden has led to the assembly of the first battery cell.
The first cell represents a milestone which Northvolt has been working towards since the gigafactory was announced in 2017. The cell is of a prismatic cell format and came off the cell assembly line on the 28th of December. Commissioning and upscaling of the factory will continue through into 2022, when the first commercial customer deliveries will be made.
- European battery firms push for sustainability laws
- Northvolt shows first fully recycled battery cell
“This is a great milestone for Northvolt which the team has worked very hard to achieve. Of course, this first cell is only the beginning. Over the course of the coming years, we look forward to Northvolt Ett expanding its production capacity greatly to enable the European transition to clean energy,” said Peter Carlsson, CEO and Co-Founder of Northvolt.
The battery cell was developed at Northvolt Labs, Northvolt’s industrialization factory in Västerås, Sweden, which has been in production since early 2020. Production capacity at Northvolt Ett will increase towards 60 GWh per year to meet over $30bn worth of contracts Northvolt has secured from key customers, including BMW, Fluence, Scania, Volkswagen, Volvo Cars and Polestar. Northvolt Ett will deliver cells of varying formats with commercial deliveries beginning in 2022.
Presently, Northvolt Ett in Skellefteå employs over 500 people, representing 56 nationalities.
- NorthVolt $200m industrial battery module factory for Poland
- NorthVolt raises $2.75bn for battery Gigafactory expansion
- NorthVolt raises $600m for battery recycling
- Polarium, NorthVolt team for telecoms batteries
- Fluence and Northvolt to co-develop battery technology for stationary storage
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Austrian power tech for tractor giant
- Transparent Cu2O solar cell achieves record 8.4 percent efficiency
- Researchers show world’s longest fibre battery
- BritishVolt signs Manz for AI battery gigafactory equipment
- LFP lithium coin cell for medical designs