Plans start for TSMC 2nm fab
The details of the meeting held online were reported by Taiwan’s Commercial Times.
The Hsinchu Science Park Baoshan Land Expansion Project Phase II is considering the environmental impact and mitigation activities for an expansion of Baoshon to provide for expansion of TSMC’s 2nm manufacturing capacity. The total area of Baoshan Phase II is 90.02 hectares. The construction is expected to start after the land acquisition is completed and the total construction period is estimated to be 60 months.
The meeting paid attention to environmental impact assessment, water reclamation and protection of the Keya River restoration zone.
TSMC is startring risk production of 3nm technology next year with mass production in 2023, and has not commented on the timeline for the 2nm generation of technology that will need a different type of transistor and new materials.
Related links and articles:
- Fateful Choices For ICs and Taiwan
- TSMC starts 2021 with strong sales growth
- Intel seeks $10 billion subsidy for ‘EuroFab’
- TSMC’s $100bn fab plans to expand capacity
- Samsung planning $10bn 3nm fab in Texas
- TSMC hiring for Arizona wafer fab
- TSMC approves $3.5bn spending for Arizona fab
Other articles on eeNews Europe