Sakuu has signed a deal with NGK in Japan to supply key materials for 3D printed solid state batteries.
It has developed a 3D printing system to produce solid state batteries, and is setting up a pilot line in the US.
The deal will see NGK, already a major supplier of batteries, co-develop and provide ceramic materials for solid state battery production, ranging from ongoing battery material needs at its California pilot line to commercial scale production in 2023. These will be up to half the size and 30% lighter than today’s lithium ion battery cells.
- Interview: Shaking up the industry with 3D printed solid state batteries
- Japanese project to test solid state battery on the Moon
- Solid state lithium metal battery tops 800Wh/l
“Formalizing this long-term partnership agreement with NGK for ceramic needs across our printed battery line is an important step in Sakuu’s commercialization plans,” said Arwed Niestroj, SVP of Customer Enablement. “NGK is a global industry leader, and its material quality and technical expertise will allow Sakuu to rapidly advance towards bringing to market our next-generation battery line.”
“We are happy to use our 80 years of experience in ceramic materials to collaborate with Sakuu, the clear trailblazer in 3D printing solid-state batteries. Their work is truly impressive, and we look forward to making this industry-leading solid-state battery line into a significant business opportunity for both companies,” said Keiji Suzuki, Executive Officer, R&D division at NGK.
Sakuu’s Kavian 3D printing system also allows the solid state cells to be printed in custom shapes and sizes due to the capabilities of its additive manufacturing platform. These can be manufactured close to where they are needed, rather than shipping cells around the world, for a range of secotrs, including IoT and medical applications.
Related solid state battery articles
- Sakuú teams for 3D printed solid state battery pilot line
- World’s first commercial solid state battery 3D printer
- Sakuu opens battery 3D printing plant
- NGK backs roll-to-roll perovskite solar cell startup
- Solid Power to ship 20Ah solid state battery cell prototype
- Ilika scales up for UK solid state battery production
Other articles on eeNews Power
- EV battery tops record 1000Wh/l energy
- EU to model Critical Raw Materials Act on CHIPS Act
- French pilot plant for solid state battery materials, rare earths
- EPC opens motor drive Centre of Excellence in Turin