Onsemi has sold its 200mm wafer fab in Idaho to a new venture, LA Semiconductor.
LA Semiconductor was established earlier this year by Linear ASICS in Tallmadge, Ohio, and will focus on pure-play semiconductor foundry services for analog, mixed signal and power products down to 180nm.
Located on a 33-acre campus in Pocatello, Idaho, the fab has over 50,000 square feet of cleanroom space and over 550,000 square feet of building space, the Pocatello fab currently produces 0.35 µm to 1.5 µm analog CMOS, BCD, advanced discrete, and custom technologies.
Linear ASICs has been designing and developing integrated circuits since 1997 and has established enabling IP and know-how with a library of proven silicon blocks.
The core group of designers and engineers have developed many high volume ICs, MCMs, and hybrid modules in the market, and the company has design and development centres in San Diego and Ventura, CA Dallas, TX and at its Tallmadge HQ.
Like South Portland and Oudenaarde, the Pocatello fab was sold by Seattle-based specialist real estate firm Atreg.
“In addition to our South Portland, Maine and our Oudenaarde, Belgium fabs, this is the third manufacturing asset disposition that Atreg has helped us with over the past 12 months,” said Wei-Chung Wang, executive vice president, global manufacturing and operations for onsemi. “This divestment is a continuation of onsemi’s fab-liter manufacturing strategy aimed at achieving a sustainable financial performance through upscaling capacity for products in our key markets of automotive and industrial.”
- Belgian wafer fab sold to GaN startup with China connections
- Diodes to buy onsemi South Portland fab
“Atreg’s working relationship with onsemi dates back to the mid-2000s and we truly appreciate onsemi’s leadership’s trust in the ability of our team to assist with these types of assignments,” adds Stephen Rothrock, founder, president and CEO of Atreg. “We are pleased to have made a significant contribution to onsemi’s global manufacturing strategy over the course of so many years.”
- onsemi $450m boost to European silicon carbide wafer plant
- Onsemi expands SiC boule plant in US – video
- ON Semi looks to sell Japanese power fabs
- onsemi divests fabs in fab-liter strategy
Other articles on eeNews Power
- Record efficiency for transparent dye solar cells
- Planar magnetics tool boosts wall socket charger designs
- Transphorm shakes up its management team
- Recycling chip waste into silicon battery anode – video