By Lantronix, the xPico Wi-Fi SMT embedded device server allows rapid implementation of Wi-Fi connections and wirelessly connected IoT devices that can be monitored via a mobile device, tablet or PC. The device adds a completely integrated on-board antenna with the option to use a u.fl antenna to give additional flexibility and enhanced performance. The device comes in a new form factor, for SMT applications, and with a castellation footprint, which allows it to be used with the majority of commonly available PCB processes.
It has modular certification for FCC, IC, Japan, AU/NZ, as well as regulatory approvals for CE, comes with 256-bit AES encryption and multiple power management modes to maximise battery life. The module retains many of the features of the xPico range, with a simultaneous Soft-AP and Client Mode, that direct local access without the IoT device becoming disconnected from the enterprise wireless network.
Alpha Micro says: “This new offering will allow our customers to implement Wi-Fi connectivity… as it has been developed specifically to fit in with device manufacturing workflows and processes. With a tiny footprint, choice of antenna options, Web Service API and a flexible microcontroller software interface, the new SMT version is now more than ever a perfect fit for IoT devices that need to quickly communicate with the cloud, as well as directly connect via mobile devices.”
• Complete Wi-Fi Connectivity Offload – the module reduces the complexity of the application microcontroller and enables products to be brought through development more quickly, with reduced risk
• Complete Network Protocol Offload – The xPico Wi-Fi SMT has a built-in web server with TCP/IP network stack, enabling the file system and network connection management to be managed without additional application logic being implemented
• Over-the-Air (OTA) Updates – the module enables two-way communication enabling reliable firmware upgrades to be sent over the internet. Custom configurations are preserved during this process.
• Web Service API – its integrated APIs enable communications to / from the connected device to be managed from cloud applications, mobile devices and standard PC internet browsers
• Industrial Ready – the xPico Wi-Fi SMT has been developed to have an extended temperature range, between -40⁰C and +85⁰C
• Small Form Factor: The module measures 18.3 x 31.1 x 3 mm, meaning it can be used in applications where both height and board space are at a premium
Alpha Micro Components; www.alphamicro.net