SoM enables high-performance AI edge camera applications
The Inforce 68A1 SoM is based on the Qualcomm QCS8250 system-on-chip (SoC), which is designed to provide high performance for compute-intensive network edge Internet of Things (IoT) camera applications. The Inforce 68A1 SoM combines support for multiple high-resolution 8K or 4K cameras with complex artificial intelligence (AI) inferencing at the edge to enable smart camera systems, high-performance conferencing/collaboration devices, connected healthcare, and intelligent retail devices.
The Inforce 68A1 SoM is offered as providing exceptionally high-resolution video capabilities, including processing 4K60 Ultra HD content for multiple cameras and displays concurrently, plus high bandwidth connectivity via 802.11ax DBS Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5 for connected camera networks. The module makes use of Qualcomm Technologies’ high-performance Qualcomm Hexagon DSP and Qualcomm AI Engine to efficiently run heterogeneous deep learning workloads and neural networks for high-performance, on-device AI inferencing used in video analytics and to improve the user experience.
Technical specifications and application benefits include:
- The Qualcomm QCS8250 SoC at the heart of the Inforce 68A1 SoM integrates:
- The Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU is one of the company’s most advanced processors for IoT applications that provides excellent performance and multi-tasking.
- The Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU provides a highly efficient graphics core, delivering twice the performance of the previous generation platform, and 60 percent greater power efficiency.
- The Hexagon 690 DSP runs power efficient machine learning with quad-threaded Scalar performance and twice the Vector eXtensions performance
- A dedicated computer vision hardware block and new Hexagon Tensor Accelerator delivering 15 TOPS of AI performance
- The Qualcomm Spectra 480 ISP enables image capture at 64MP@30fps ZSL with no shutter lag and quick autofocus.
- The Adreno DPU995 Display Engine enables dual concurrent display content at HEVC 10bit and VP9 decode.
- Wired and wireless connectivity options include Wi-Fi 6, 5G, Bluetooth 5.1 RF front-end technologies and dual USB 3.1.
- A secure processing unit enables secure boot, DRM and content protection creating a secure environment for the camera system.
- The Inforce 68A1 SoM leverages PMIC regulators for large power requirements and on-board power management.
- On-board memory and storage includes 8GB DDR5 RAM and 64GB Universal Flash Storage (UFS) for fast multitasking.
- Designed to fit into and power ultra-thin applications, the small form factor SoM measures just 35 mm x 53 mm (7.5 mm profile).
- Electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding provides radio frequency noise protection, while also improving heat dissipation to improve performance.
- A development kit based on this SoM offers functionality to help developers create and optimize their products quickly, cost effectively and with lower risk.
Customer samples will be available to order starting in December priced at $399 for the SoM and $749 for the development kit, which includes a SoM, evaluation carrier board with IO, and a starter kit that includes a power adapter and cable.