The ISL95338 bidirectional voltage regulator accepts input power from a wide range of DC power sources – AC/DC power adapters, USB power delivery (PD3.0) ports, travel adapters, power banks – and converts it to a regulated voltage up to 24V. The part can also convert a range of DC power sources to a regulated 20V at its power adapter input. The regulator supports the USB-C ecosystem with buck-mode, boost-mode, and buck-boost mode, and is flexible enough to use in any USB-C power management application.
The single-chip ISL95338 replaces two voltage converters currently used for bidirectional buck and boost modes to reduce a bill of materials (BOM) cost by 50%. It uses Intersil’s R3 modulation technology to deliver acoustic noise-free operation, light-load efficiency and ultra-fast transient response. R3 extends battery life by combining the best features of fixed-frequency pulse width modulation (PWM) and hysteretic PWM to maximize power efficiency. The ISL95338 is also USB 3.1-compliant and provides serial communication through SMBus/I2C, allowing designers to program several input/output current and voltage slew rate settings to create a customized solution.
The ISL95338 is fully compliant to the USB PD3.0 standard and supports programmable power supply (PPS) fast charging with bidirectional 5V to 20V buck, boost or buck-boost modes. Multiple ISL95338 ICs can be combined with the ISL95521A combo battery charger or ISL9238 buck-boost battery charger to enable simultaneous multiport USB-C charging. The ISL95338 can also be used with the R9A02G011 USB PD controller and RAJ240045 fuel gauge IC for a complete USB-C power delivery solution.
In a 4 x 4 mm TQFN package it is priced at $3.36 USD in 1k quantities.
next page; feature listing…
Key Features and Specifications of ISL95338
• Provides bidirectional buck, boost, and buck-boost operation
• In forward mode, input voltage range is 3.8V to 24V and output voltage is up to 20V with no dead zone
• Up to 1 MHz switching frequency, and automatically reduces switching frequency with no audible acoustic noise when charger is in DCM mode
• Programmable soft-start
• LDO output for VDD and VDDP
• System status alert function, and bidirectional internal discharge function
• Active switching for negative voltage transitions
• Bypass mode in both directions, forward mode enable and reverse mode enable
• Fast swap allows one port to quickly swap from source to sink
• Bidirectional internal input/output node discharge
• SMBus and auto-increment I2C compatible
• Full protection against undervoltage, overvoltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature